Position : General Manager – Orangutan Haven
Reporting to : Orangutan Haven Directors and CEO Yayasan Ekosistem Lestari
Managing : Orangutan Haven
Location : Near Pancur Batu, Deli Serdang, Sumatera Utara, with office facilities in Medan
Salary : Dependent on experience and performance
Hours : 100% Full Time Equivalent (21 days per month)
Yayasan Ekosistem Lestari’s ground-breaking new Orangutan Haven near Medan, North Sumatra, will maximise the welfare of orangutans that cannot be released to the wild and educate visitors about the plight of wildlife species, their rainforest habitat, and sustainable development. It will feature a large restaurant, exhibitions, captive wildlife conservation facilities, sustainable agriculture, education programmes, and special events. The Orangutan Haven will be a major asset for the city of Medan and a centre of excellence for conservation, education, sustainable development, and recreation, whilst also generating sustainable funding for important conservation work.
The successful applicant will oversee management of all aspects of the Orangutan Haven, including, concept development, design, construction, management of revenue generating activities and facilities (e.g., restaurant, ticketing, merchandise, agricultural produce, etc.), in addition to human resources, accounting and general administration. The position will suit an experienced business/hospitality professional seeking variety and new challenges.
Duties and Responsibilities
The General Manager will :
- Be responsible for the overall leadership and management of the Orangutan Haven’s operational and administrative functions, under guidance of Yayasan Ekosistem Lestari and the Orangutan Haven directors. ensuring standards and deadlines are met, identifying process improvements and implementing best practices.
- Implement the strategic vision to achieve the Orangutan Haven’s objectives and performance indicators.
- Set the tone for internal and external interactions, maintaining strong relationships with a diverse range of stakeholders, ensuring high ethical standards, integrity and fairness, whilst always acting in the best interests of the Orangutan Haven and ensuring this culture prevails across all employees and contractors.
Qualifications and Experience
- An advanced degree in a relevant field or professional qualifications in an appropriate discipline.
- Proven leadership, administration, executive management and planning skills;
- Extensive experience in organizational and corporate management practices, including the setting up of new initiatives and robust financial and program/project management;
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills, including within cross-cultural and international settings, and the ability to develop and cultivate good working relationship with government, the public and private sectors, schools, universities, foundations, civil society organizations, and other stakeholders;
- Experience of grant writing and the ability to expand our network of donors and supporters would be an advantage.
Eligibility and Application
- Application letter and full CV to be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject header “OUH General Manager application”.